In this blog I will present commented discussions on the advantages and disadvantages of various art resins; discuss how to prepare flowers for use with resin and which flowers have worked best/not worked for me. I will be presenting interviews and discussions with other pressed flower and resin artists. I will have a "tip of the day" section.

I'm hoping that lots of you contribute; comments, arguments and disagreements are always welcome. Resin is such a complex medium that we all have something to learn. Besides, tweaks and even new resin products are coming out all the time.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Oh Good Heaven's it's September

I've gone along just having fun creating, experimenting, dreaming of new projects, basically clueless of the time flowing, until today, when it hit me: big craft sale; lots to do; start thinking increasing my visibility, catching up on the projects I don't especially like (read: sanding) and finishing things. I love starting projects, but finishing--I have at least 6 or 7 pairs of socks knitted half way; a whole tub  of unsanded jewelry; loads of cards to make. I'm ashamed to admit I started a sweater for my Uncle Bob 10 years ago and was "just finishing it up" when he died this year. I even have a few baby clothes 1/2 made for my (now) 21 year old!

I ran out of Colores Doming resin a few days ago; waited anxiously and did some sewing (I make fancy lacy panties custom sizes.) Now I could have prepared some new pendants--filling the bases with white, black or colored resin. But I told myself I couldn't really do anything without the doming resin. Hah! So I think I'm going to be feeling the  time push all the more. At least I have an excuse not to press more flowers since there are only a few blooming in our yard, and I caught up this year and have scads.

At least, I figured I can't really make Halloween jewelry, or Christmas--at least I never have. Then it hit me that I make lots of red flowers; have lots of greenery, there's no reason why not. So besides catching up I'm going to be looking for ideas for Christmas-y pressed flower jewelry.

Speaking of red, I want to introduce you to one of my favorite pressed flower artists: Kate Chu. If you go to her site:
http://www.pressed-flowers.com/index.html      you will see on the first page what I consider by far the most beautiful pressed flower art  piece ever. But like all artists, she's done a lot of different things, and two pendants of hers are wonderful:
 This wonderful (Christmas-y) donut pendant, and :
 I would have never of thought of the second one, with the writing!
 Let me know what you think.

Hint of the day: After you've poured resin and are ready to cover it (I use a clear cake cover from Safeway) use a magnifying glass or glasses to look at the piece from several angles. I work on a lazy susan so I can rotate the work without disturbing it.  Lots of problems will only show up from certain angles. This is especially true of domes and valleys with Envirotech Lite on corners of flat pieces; and cat hair or dust pieces.

Thanks for visiting.  Chris

1 comment: