In this blog I will present commented discussions on the advantages and disadvantages of various art resins; discuss how to prepare flowers for use with resin and which flowers have worked best/not worked for me. I will be presenting interviews and discussions with other pressed flower and resin artists. I will have a "tip of the day" section.

I'm hoping that lots of you contribute; comments, arguments and disagreements are always welcome. Resin is such a complex medium that we all have something to learn. Besides, tweaks and even new resin products are coming out all the time.

Thursday, November 18, 2010


 Today I'm introducing a resin-pressed flower artist with a different bent:  Zipper8Design (
I came upon her coasters in a random  Etsy search, and really liked her work.  Here she explains how she started and the problems she has with pressing flowers:
I started working with resin while getting a Masters of Architecture, I used it for a project in one of my digital fabrication classes. I was having so much fun that I decided to order some extra for myself to fool around with. That, and a random bottle cap collection I had lying around, led to my first experiments with making trivets and then coasters out of recycled beer bottle caps. For a while my little business really just focused on the bottle caps, until one day I thought, what if I embed something else into my coaster, like say a gingko leaf? I absolutely adore gingko leaves, and there are a lot of gingko trees on the streets of NYC around my apt, so I picked a pretty one off the tree one day, took it home and poured my first botanical coaster. And within about an hour, my leaf was an ugly brown. I was bummed, but thought, well maybe if I just press and dry the leaf first it will stay nice and green? So I started drying leaves, and discovered that it worked!

This past summer when I started trying to press other flowers I ran into a lot of problems, and a lot of brown petals! I tried pressing flowers in the microwave because I'm impatient, but really struggled to master that technique, and ended up with a lot of flowers embedded with the quilted paper towel pattern. Finally I settled on simply putting the flowers between printer paper, and in a big stack of books. I would usually leave them there one weekend, and pull them out the following weekend, the next time I was up in CT. Unfortunately I spent a lot of time refining my technique, and often times wouldn't figure it out until after the flower I was working with had died off. For instance I was trying to press these pretty yellow sundrops that my Mom had bushel loads of. First I pressed them face down, splayed out, but they didn't look so great. Then I test pressed one sprig lying on its side, leaves and stem and all. And it was perfect! The next weekend when I went to press more, all the flowers were gone. Now I just have to wait until next summer to use my new skills, at least for the sundrops.

Overall most of my issues tend to be with the pressing of the flowers. I find the resin really easy to work with, and maybe its just the brand I use but I've never had real issues with bubbles or anything like that. But, the scale of a coaster allows for many more imperfections that would be noticeable at a small scale, such as in a pendant. I'm still learning, and for me the most challenging thing is to plan ahead for the seasons. This fall for instance I collected fall leaves like a mad person, certain that just when I discovered my next great coaster those leaves would be gone, just like my sundrops. So its a learning process but I'm loving it, and my botanical coasters are really popular so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and learning along the way. For instance, next summer I'm going to hoard queen anne's lace like there's no tomorrow because those have ended up being hugely popular and I only caught on at the end of the season and wasn't able to collect nearly as many flowers as I might have liked. Nature wins again I guess.

Thank you!

I'm trying something totally new. In the early days of my jewelry making I bought a big bunch of "jeweler's seconds" drop pendants and settings, which turned out to be demo pieces with posts soldered on the backs. I finally figured out that I might be able to use them if I sanded the posts off and filled them with resin. I've gotten some interesting results:

Thank you for visiting my blog!  Chris


  1. Thanks for showing Zipper8's work - I wouldn't have come across it myself and I really like the coasters. Beautiful & functional - what more could you ask?

  2. Thanks for the feature Chris! Fantastic blog, I am sure I'll learn a whole lot about pressing flowers from reading these wonderful posts. Thanks!

  3. Great post Chris , these interviews are interesting. I love the blue with silver necklace a lot! Peace and keep on pressing

  4. Hi Chris. Thanks for sharing this. Love your jewelry. Love Zipper8's coaster fresh and contemporary. Nice to think that the pressing is the hardest part. Barbara

  5. Gorgeous coasters and fascinating explanation behind them.

    Btw, thanks for the compliment on my blog! And yes, I really do enjoy browsing Project Wonderful sites and bidding on ads. It's a sickness, I know. ;D

  6. oh my goodness these are beautiful! i absolutely love them! you have a wonderful idea here. very cool and unique! i just started following you and would love for you to come check out my blog as well! thanks :D


  7. Wow great looking coasters! I wanna try to make these on my own What kinda mold are you using for the coasters

  8. I believe she uses silicone molds found on Etsy. I made some like these, the molds are great! Chris