In this blog I will present commented discussions on the advantages and disadvantages of various art resins; discuss how to prepare flowers for use with resin and which flowers have worked best/not worked for me. I will be presenting interviews and discussions with other pressed flower and resin artists. I will have a "tip of the day" section.

I'm hoping that lots of you contribute; comments, arguments and disagreements are always welcome. Resin is such a complex medium that we all have something to learn. Besides, tweaks and even new resin products are coming out all the time.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Pressed Flower Artist With a Difference

Hi, I'm very happy to present another pressed flower artist I recently discovered on etsy. Her work is wonderful and she has a very different presentation: Winter Garden Studios at Etsy:  Adrienne DeLoe
http://www.etsy.com/shop/wintergardenstudios


How did you get started working with pressed flowers?
My father is a horticulturist, so I grew up around plants. We always had a gorgeous garden and I had my own little plot of land where I planted my favorite flowers.  I am from Colorado and my parents took us on camping and hiking trips often, which I loved. From a very young age, I was inspired by the beauty of nature and I continue to find inspiration there. I love to use botanicals not only in my jewelry making, but also in my fine artwork.



What are some of the challenges you find working with pressed botanicals?

It took me a long time to discover which plants work best in terms of maintaining their color. It also took a long time to discover which types of glue work best when working with pressed flowers. I have been doing this for almost 10 years and coming up with what you see in my work today was definitely a process of trial and error.


Your work is very unusual. How do you choose which plant/flower to work with?
I choose which plants to work with based on their design potential. I have a graphic design business as well as my jewelry business and I am a true designer at heart. I love plants that possess qualities of clean, modern design that I can use in interesting ways.


What is your favorite botanical?

I can honestly say that I don’t have a favorite botanical. I use different materials depending on what I feel inspired by at the moment, so the botanicals I use are always changing.

What is in your future as far as crafting?
I hope to continue to grow my business and perfect the processes in which I create. I am always looking for new opportunities and ways to make my jewelry the highest quality possible. I love what I do and I am excited to keep pushing forward!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/wintergardenstudios
Adrienne,  Thank You so much! I love to see such original work.




Hint of the day: Due to the many people in  the World Wide Pressed Flower Guild suggesting using patternless VIVA  paper towels, I've started using them for pressing flowers. The colors of my flowers are staying more vivid, and the the flowers are in better shape. I love it! (I generally use phonebooks with bricks on top!
Sometimes, I use a microwave. Yellow Kalanchoe  is one flower that does better in  microwave to start, then two weeks in a phone book.


I always appreciate your comments and support for newly discovered artists.  Chris



8 comments:

  1. Wonderful artist, Chris! I love Adrienne's composition...simple and elegant. Hope she will consider joining us on the guild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, another fine interview! Adrienne's work is so elegant, and so unique! Thanks for sharing her lovely jewelry. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Adrienne very nice work !
    Chris ,glad viva is working for you , and thanks for the tip on Kalanchoe , I have never got it to work ? i will try to micro next time ! Peace and happy pressing .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the interview and Adrienne's unique jewelry on her etsy store! Thanks to Adrienne and Chris for introducing her to us! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovewly jewelry! I love the way she uses plants. I'm wondering what the little red flower is on the gold background?? Francie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little red flowers are called Jungle Flame.
    Thank you for all the wonderful comments!
    -Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely, lovely, lovely!:-)

    thanks for letting us see:-)

    rebekah:-)

    ReplyDelete