In this blog I will present commented discussions on the advantages and disadvantages of various art resins; discuss how to prepare flowers for use with resin and which flowers have worked best/not worked for me. I will be presenting interviews and discussions with other pressed flower and resin artists. I will have a "tip of the day" section.

I'm hoping that lots of you contribute; comments, arguments and disagreements are always welcome. Resin is such a complex medium that we all have something to learn. Besides, tweaks and even new resin products are coming out all the time.

Friday, March 18, 2011

HANDGROWN JEWELRY: A newly discovered flower/resin artist!

Hi everyone. I found someone who makes really lovely jewelry totally different from mine--I don't even know how she does it, but it's beautiful.
Handgrown Jewelry: 
http://www.etsy.com/shop/HandgrownJewelry
 1: How did you get started with resin and flowers?
I got started with resin a few years ago, after seeing how versatile it is! You can make great funky jewelry, repair surfboards, fill molds and layer it on flowers! I started experimenting with dyes and filling little bezel cups and bottle caps. The flowers came into play when I was a kid. I've always been surrounded by my moms gorgeous gardens and flower displays, which turned me into a huge flower fanatic.

2: what are your favorite flowers and materials to work with.
I love skeleton leaves. They have a totally delicate And intricate natural design which i find mesmerizing. Orchids are also total show stoppers, I am in complete awe of them. I love the entire growing process. Watching a stalk pop out from the roots, seeing it sprout little buds then waiting with extreme anticipation for the buds to bloom. It's especially exciting when you don't know what color or type of orchid is going to be revealed. Flowers are by far my favorite material to work with. Every single one is different, which make each piece of jewelry that comes from them unique, like a fingerprint.
 


3: what are some challenges you've encountered working with resin and flowers?
 Tie your hair back when working with resin, this stuff does not shampoo out! Lesson learned:)

 4: what are your plans for the future?
I have my website www.handgrownjewelry.com up now, and I do several craft shows around the Sarasota and Tampa areas. I am also involved in a Sunday morning market which is once a month year round. I love doing shows and talking to people about the jewelry and anything crafty. So I'll continue doing what I'm doing now, adding more shows as they come along. I have some new processes I'm working on involving my lovely little skeleton leaves, and also have some cute new cuffs coming out this month!! There is always new jewelry being handgrown at my house!

 Thank you so much!


Tip of the day: I've started to use one of those tiny metal bottle tips when I have to
pour resin on a small space (as usual, suggested by the Colores video; but who ever follows ALL of the directions!) and am having much less problem with resin running over the sides of my pieces, IF I don't get too greedy with time and try to avoid 2 or three
pours on the piece. I did find that I have to do the small pieces first and then remove the metal tip; as the resin cools it gets thicker and won't flow through the tip. I just toss it in a little cup of rubbing alcohol and it's good for the next time.

Thanks for coming by. I love to hear comments and ideas!  Chris






7 comments:

  1. very cool interview , thanks Chris
    love the last piece !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful jewelry, Chris! I love orchids, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful!:-)

    thanks for letting us see:-)

    rebekah:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful jewelry, Chris!

    Francie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also check out Shannon Polojac's official site.
    http://handgrownjewelry.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great is it that we get to see so much creativity!

    And Chris I can't picture a metal tip on a bottle. What type of bottle are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the nice blog here.I was searching this one for a long time...I got another one site also,which is one of the best website for resins Sohman Epoxy . Apart from this check this one also Solvents .Sure it will be very informative for you..

    ReplyDelete